Does it matter where we fix our gaze? Does the object of our gaze affect how our lives unfold? Today's text helps us re-shift our gaze back onto the One who loves us and has the power to free us and transform us.
Hebrews 12:1-3 (NRSV)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart.
• What phrase or word spoke to you as you listened/read?
• What did you need to hear?
• What holds you back from running with perseverance?
• What would you like to say to Jesus about this passage?
• Who are your “cloud of witnesses”?